Modular Kitchen is a term used for the modern kitchen furniture layout consisting of modules of cabinets which can facilitate the effective usage of spaces in a kitchen.
Different arrangement of counters
- A kitchen has three primary tasks which are carried out between:
1. Cooking Zone (hob, oven and microwave)
2. Washing Zone (the sink)
3. Storage Zone (cabinets, fridge and freezer)
- Natural work path planned between these three zones called as work triangle.
- The smaller the work triangle, the more efficient a work space.
- As a general rule, the distance between the three areas of the kitchen work triangle should be no less thanÂ 4.5 feetÂ and no larger thanÂ 8.5 feet.
- The six most common modular kitchen layouts are:
1. L shaped layout
- L shaped kitchen has single unit spread across two adjoining two walls will provide with ample amount of free space.
- Discreet and versatile
- More storage space
- Ideal for small kitchen
2. Straight layout
- A straight line kitchen has its hob, sink, fridge and other storage cabinets all in a line against a single wall
- Easy Workflow
- Compact and unobtrusive
- Ideal for small kitchen
3. U shaped
- U shaped layout has the most efficient work triangle and enormous counter space, extra wall, and floor cabinets.
- 3 way accessibility
- plenty of wall and floor cabinets
- Ideal for large kitchen
4. Parallel or gallery
- Parallel layout of modular kitchens has two long working areas facing each other against two walls.
- Easy movement flow
- Plenty of working space
- Ideal for long and narrow kitchen
- It combines either a straight line or L-shaped kitchen model with an unconnected island space.
- Contemporary look and feel
- Separate storage and cooking space
6. G shaped or peninsular
- Peninsula Layout of modular kitchens has a little extra counter space for either dining or entertainment purpose.
- Unlike an Island layout, the extra space is connected to the main counter space.
- Utilizes less floor area as compared to island
- Separate cooking space and the dining spaces
- Plenty of storage.
Components of modular kitchen
- A countertop is flat working surface in a kitchen.
4. PU Finish
- PU (polyurethane) is acrylic based clear coating paint also called as lacquer finish applied over boards.
- It is weather resistance and also easy to maintain and clean.
5. Glass Finish (lacquered)
- Painted glass is stuck on the surface of shutters and cabinets
- It is toughened so in-case glass breaks, it will not harm and can be easily replaced.
6. Membrane Finish
- Membrane is approximately 0.3 mm thick sheet which is pasted on the shutters and cabinets.
- It is not heat resistance.
- It attaches the cabinet door to the frame, depending on the height and weight of the door.
General types of hinge
2. Lift up system
- It is designed to provide effortless opening and closing of cabinet door.
General types of lift up
- It is a box-shaped storage compartment, made to slide horizontally in and out of a cabinet.
- Its hardware design depends on channel/slide, storage space and weight,opening system, etc.
- It is available in market under variousÂ namesÂ depending on the companies.
General types of drawer
According to Function
According to Application
- A hardware used to hold or store things in kitchen.
General types of basket
- A hardware that slide in and out, and hold the drawers or baskets.
General types of channel
- A hardware used for opening and closing of cabinet door.
General types of handle
Common hardware brands in India
- Appliances are integrated and built in with modular kitchen which saves beneficial spaces and improve aesthetics of the kitchen.
General types of appliances used in modular kitchen
- It helps in removing the hot air and smoke from the kitchen and provides proper ventilation.
Considerations for chimney
General types of chimney
General types of chimney filters
Suction power of chimney
- It is the capacity of chimney motor to absorb oil particles and odour.
- It is measured in cubic meter per hour(m3/hr).
- It should be able to recycle the air at least 10 timesÂ in an hour.
- It depends on theÂ sizeÂ of kitchen and home.
- Formula to calculate suction power : Kitchen volume x 10 i.e.,Â (L x W x H) x 10.
DUCT OR DUCTLESS CHIMNEY
Size of chimney
- Selection of kitchen chimney size depends on the size of the stove or hob and kitchen size.
- The thumb rule is it should be either stove or hob size or slightly greaterÂ than the stove or hob size so that it absorbs smoke effectively.
- It is a kitchen appliance designed for the purpose of cooking food.
General types of cooktop
- It is an appliance designed to perform function like cooking, grilling and baking.
General types of oven
- It is an appliance or compartment which is artificially kept cool and used to store food and drink.
General types of refrigerator
- It is an appliance for a purpose of cleaning dishware and cutlery automatically
General types of dishwasher
- It is used for washing dishes, vegetables, etc.
General types of sinks
Common appliances brands in India
Add on Accessories
Tips to consider before installation
1. Incorporate the golden triangle rule
- To increase work efficiency install the cooking zone (stove, oven), the washing zone (Sink), and the storage zone (refrigerator) within a gap of 4-8.5 feet.
2. Select durable materials
- Choose base materials that are durable and easy to clean.
3. Compartmentalize storage
- Storage spaces needs to be analyzed and can be personalized according to the requirements.
4. Service points
- Electrical and plumbing points should be considered in accordance with the modular units before installation.
5. Choose an appealing color
- The aesthetic appearance of the kitchen depends especially on the colours.
- Avoid dark colours, as they are not good reflectors of light.
6. Bring in good ventilation
- Proper ventilation is the rule of thumb for any kitchen to repel overpowering smells.
Advantages of modular kitchen
1. Contemporary design
- Modular kitchens present a smarter, modern choices and sophisticated finishes compared to traditional methods.
- The designs are planned scientifically as per users requirements.
- They are extremely versatile with a combination of module units, wallstorage, cabinets, drawers, and shelves or space for appliances.
- Moreover, they are available in an array of colours and finishes.
3. Efficient storage:
- These kitchens provide more storage and better work flow, as it is well organized.
- For instance, modular kitchen cabinets offers special systems such as built-in bottle racks, plate holders, cutlery compartments, garbage holders and wire trays for vegetables.
4. Quick and easy installation
- The manufacturing of modular kitchens comes ready-to-install.
- They are also easy to dismantle can be reinstall the kitchen in a new home.
5. Easy to maintain
- As each part is a separate module, maintenance and repair work can be done easily.
6. Easy to clean
- Cleaning the modular kitchen requires less efforts as all parts can be removed and can be properly accessed for cleaning.
- Periodically wipe down the cabinets and counters with a mild detergent solution to get rid of grime and dirt.
Disadvantages of modular kitchen
- Initial installation cost of modular kitchen is higher as compared to your ordinary kitchen.
- These kitchens are not suitable for rough use. (Unless high-quality hingesare used), the kitchen may require frequent repairs, adding to the maintenance costs.
3. Skilled labour
- Pre-fabricated cabinets need technical assistance while installation and repair.